About

GordonHouseFLW1

The holidays are ahead! Shop early and support local this year to avoid shipping delays. Visit our Museum Store today!

GordonHouseFLW1

The Gordon House is now open for Spring/Summer hours!
We thank you for your patience and continued support, and are happy to welcome you back!

Today at the Gordon House
Today at the Gordon House

December 6, 2021
  • Gordon House Closed

    December 6, 2021  12:00 pm - 3:00 pm

previous arrow
next arrow

Gordon House Conservancy Mission Statement

To educate the public on Frank Lloyd Wright’s architectural approach and principles of organic architecture by preserving Frank Lloyd Wright’s only design built in Oregon.

Intent of Historical Interpretation: The full experience that represents a home, the relationship of landscape to the natural surrounds, and interior representation shall be provided. Interpretation shall further the understanding of Frank Lloyd Wright’s holistic approach. Design year to be represented shall be 1964 when the Gordon House was completed.

The Gordon House shall be restored as a house museum with adaptive reuse as required to accommodate the public. Exhibits shall include a permanent, though selective, collection reflecting the Gordons’ lifestyle, together with educational exhibits illustrating Frank Lloyd Wright’s body of work and continuing influence, particularly from the Usonian period.


A Brief History of the Gordon House

1957

Frank Lloyd Wright designs a home for Evelyn and Ed Gordon, based on a design for a modern home commissioned by Life magazine in 1938. It was originally located near Wilsonville, Oregon, situated to take advantage of views of the adjacent Willamette River on the northwest side and Mt Hood to the east.

1959

Frank Lloyd Wright dies five days after having surgery, on April 9, 1959, in Phoenix, Arizona

1964

Construction of the Gordon House is completed.

2001

The Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy became involved in attempts to preserve the historic house, and in early 2001, they obtained a three-month reprieve to dismantle it and move it to the Oregon Garden, about 21 miles (34 km) southeast of its original location. The Conservancy accepted a proposal from the Oregon Garden Society, assisted by the City of Silverton, to take charge of moving and reinstalling the house. Dismantling began on March 9, 2001. The house was moved in four large pieces, with the upper floor, containing two bedrooms and one bath, moved as a single unit. Overall neglect required refurbishing of the structure’s siding and roofing which was arranged by grants from the Architectural Foundation of Oregon and the Oregon Cultural Trust. A new foundation replicating the original was constructed. 

2002

The Gordon House opens as the only publicly accessible Frank Lloyd Wright home in the Pacific Northwest.

2004

The Gordon House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 2004.

2012-2016

The conservancy continuously restores the Gordon House to its original appearance and preserves this architectural treasure. 


Gordon House Conservancy Board of Directors

Executive Committee Chair: Deb Lentz
Vice Chair: Dave Pierce, Retired Landscape Architect
Treasurer: Jeffrey Prokop, JProkop Design
Secretary: Gayle Rothrock, Retired Mills College Trustee
Past Chair: Carol Caughey, IIDA, Emerita Assoc Professor-Interior Design, Oregon State University

Board Members at Large

  • Bruce Brown, Retired Architect, GBD Architects
  • Efrain Diaz-Horna, Artist and Poet
  • Tim Richard, Architect
  • Forrest Freed, Artist and former Gallery Owner
  • Mark Jacobsen, Attorney
  • Kim Knox, Project Manager, Sheils Obletz Johnsen
  • Robert Volz, Sommelier and owner of Pour Wine Bar & Bistro

Gordon House Staff
Val Van Alstyne, Site Director
Laura Weigel, Bookkeeper
Mairee MacInnes, Museum Assistant/ Events Coordinator

Gordon House Conservancy Advisory Board
Dodie Brockamp, Executive Director, Silverton Senior Center Ralph Coleman, Ph.D., Retired Associate Professor, Oregon Health Sciences University Trustee—Coleman Endowment Fund
Rob Dortignacq, Historic Architect, Dortignacq and Associates
Bill Failing, Oregon Historical Society, Past Director Nathan Good, Nathan Good Architects
Rick Gustafson, Retired, Sheils Obletz Johnsen
Diane Plesset, ASID, CBD/CKD, Owner, D.P. Design Associates
Jim Tice, Professor of Architecture, University of Oregon

In Memory of Our Friends Passed

  • Tom Allen, GH Model Sculptor
  • Mac Blown, GH Docent, GH Public Events
  • Bill Eckert, GH Docent
  • Mary Jaeggli Buttles, GH DocentElsa Coleman, GHC Board Chair, GHC Event & Auction Committee, Oregon Garden Foundation Board
  • Walt Hamer, GH Docent
  • Joan Hayward, GH Docent, GHC Board Member, GHC Event & Auction Committee
  • Larry Kassel, GH Art Exhibitor, FLLW Cartoon Artist
  • Norma Paulus, Retired Oregon Superintendent of Schools & Oregon Historical Society
  • Nancy Porous Rhodes, GH Docent, GHC Board Member, GHC Event & Auction Committee
  • Vic Rhodes, GHC Annual Events
  • Bill Vanderheide, GH Docent
  • Larry Woodin, GHC Board Member

Photography credit: Taylor Simpson